Monday, 4 May 2009

Cryptozoology?



Isn't it funny where one can get ideas from? Last month a 7m carcass washed up on Walney Island, and while it is yet to be identified professionally it clear that it's some sort of whale. It doesn't have teeth & has a large head so it must be one of those filter feeding right whales. As long as you stay upwind it's an impressive sight (photos to follow hopefully). While doing a bit of research into whale anatomy I stumbled up on a pretty neat book: 'in the wake of sea serpents' which has stories about sightings of pleisiosaurs, giant fish and the very believable giant squid. I still need to do a lot of research about cryptozoology and its relationship with zoology, where of course all cryptids end up when properly identified. I wouldn't want it to be too pisstakey, maybe a story about beliefs, delusions, oddities, the unknown and a smattering of comedy. I'm not sure my sketch here does what I have in mind justice, though I certainly do want it to have a ripping yarn feel to it. Having said all that I'm very indecisive at the moment, so could end up doing something altogether different. Ho hum.

1 comment:

  1. It is funny where ideas come from, a rotten whale carcass has to rank pretty high up that strange old list. I like the sound of your new adverture. That book also sounds cool. Looking forward to the photos (though not in a strange way).

    ReplyDelete