

This is one of my favourite comics. Paul Rainey has recently released the latest installment in his graphic novel, or long comic book as pedants make him clarify. It's really difficult to sum up in a few paragraphs because there's so much to it. Here goes anyway.
It's set in present day Milton Keynes where people are able to access what's essentially the internet of the future: The Ultranet. This raises philosophical issues of course, should you search for your obituary? should you check if you're still working at that factory in 30 years? should you download the next 10 years worth of Emmerdale? There is some degree of physical time travel but only backwards it would seem, and this is being stopped as the terminals are powered down.
The story centres around 3 characters, Cliff, Barry and Hugh, as both young and old men. Not only is it extremely funny, it has things to say about getting older, growing up, not growing up and relationships. There are plenty of top cultural references as seen by the younger enthusiasts and as elderly men watching the Hulk, He-Man and Dr Who as part of their classis TV club.
I can't wait to see where Paul's going with this, as there is still some unfinished business from earlier in the story, which is sure to make a great ending, whether it's happy or sad I'm not sure yet.
I really don't feel I've done Pauls work justice here. This is a great great comic book. You simply must buy it.
It's available from his website pbrainey.com and various comic shops, I know it's in OK comics in Leeds 'cos I saw it there.
No comments:
Post a Comment